[mythtv] mythtranscode, key frames and fifo output

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Apr 2 23:58:50 UTC 2005

> This is really starting to annoy me...  If I set a cutpoint in myth, and

So let me get this straight, you want to rewrite mythtranscode in php? :)

Since Geoffrey hasn't been around lately, I've been trying to
maintain/enhance the transcoder so I'll look into this.

> I take great care to cut my commercials completely out, and it's really
> annoying to have a random half-second of commercial pop up between parts
> of the show.  I mean, at that point, I might as well not use myth to
> flag/cut commercials, and just do it all in avidemux after they're encoded.

I haven't seen this, but like your 2nd email states, I'm using ivtv for
all my recordings.  I do have a few old MPEG4 files around for testing
with though and some new transcodes that are MPEG4 as well so I can test.

> Also, there always seems to be a good second or more of uncut stuff at
> the end of an encoding, despite there being no end cutpoint (because I
> can never actually place a cutpoint exactly at the end of a recording).

I know exactly why this happens and can fix this fairly easily I
believe.  The editor limits you to setting a cutpoint within a certain
distance of the end of a recording.  This is done (in part) because
the player can't see to within a certain distance of the end of
the recording, partially because there may be no keyframe or
seektable entry that close to the end.

> How do I get this fixed?  Would creating a bug in bugzilla do anything?
>   As I understand it, most devs (myself included) don't really check
> bugzilla all that often.

If you want to, sure.  I do look over bugzilla and even assign bugs
to myself that are for things I work on or that I know I can fix.
I went through before 0.17 and fixed a few of the easier bugs
that were sitting in there.

> This is imho a serious annoyance that needs to be fixed.
>
> -Chris

I'll see what I can find on the non-exact cuts, the extra stuff at
the end should be easy for me to fix.  Basically if there is an
end-cut marker within 2 seconds or so of the end, the mythtranscode
should ignore it and just skip all frames left.

--

(another) Chris