[mythtv] mythtv recordings

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Fri Apr 1 02:07:29 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have found some issues in mythtv with recordings:

- it is not possible to change the end time of a recording in
  progress.

- it is not possible to delay the start time of a recording that has
  already started without deleting the schedule, restarting the back
  end daemon, and recreating the schedule.

In both cases, even if you stop the recording and restart it, it
resumes with the old settings. The daemon has to be restarted too, to
force it to forget the old settings.

However, the side effect of restarting the daemon the daemon causing
it to forget some of the run time data has unwanted side effects,
especially after a power failure, e.g:

1. Assume recording A conflicts with recording B.

2. I stop A from recording (e.g. maybe it has ended), and manually
   reactivate B from recording.

3. The power fails[1], everything restarts, mythtv forgets I stopped A,
   and resumes recording, A when I really wanted B to record.

Anyway, just some thoughts of mine.

Notes:

[1] some people will probably suggest a UPS; a UPS won't stop a
jealous dog pushing the on/off switch in order to get
attention... Yes. It has happened.  Really ;-).
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>