[mythtv] CVS Server down?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 12:35:45 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 10:02, Demorechner Meiersos wrote:
> Where should I post for example a file with new RSS Feeds for German
> user?
> Here in the "development" forum or in the "commit" forum?

The -commit list is read-only, you can't post to it.
The -dev list is for discussion of development issues or submitting
patches.
The -users list is for everything else Myth-related.

If you think the file with RSS feeds is something that needs to be added
to the CVS repository, then submit it to the -dev list.  Otherwise, if
it's just a list of feeds for users to add to their MythNews setup, I'd
say the -users list would be the appropriate place.

> Here the question:
> To use a patch I have to use the command:
> patch -p1 < Patch.file
> or
> patch -p0 < Patch.file
>
> But how do I create a Patch? In the gossamer thread I found several
> different solutions and I didn't want to look through all the 500+
> messages with the word "patch" in it. For example:
>
> cvs diff -u > Patch.file
> or
> cvs -z3 diff -ud > Patch.file

Both commands will produce the same or similar results.  The only
difference of any significance to the output is the '-d' option (see
below).

The '-z3' option just specifies the compression level for transferring
stuff over the 'net.

The '-d' option is passed to the 'diff' program.  From the 'diff' man
page:
  -d  --minimal  Try hard to find a smaller set of changes.

The '-u' option is also passed to 'diff'.  It specifies that we want a
'unified' diff format.  This is the format that Isaac & most other
developers prefer for patches as it's the most human-readable.

> Does this make a Patchfile with all the differences in all the files?
> How do I do this for only one file? For example "news-sites.xlm"

This will create a differences file (patch) for all CVS-controlled files
in the current directory.  Use the '-R' option to recurse
subdirectories.  To process only specific files, specify them on the
command line like so:

cvs diff -u file1 file2 ... fileN > patchfile

> Hope I did all the things right with my Posting.

No major faux pas.  Nice to have you aboard.

-JAC