[mythtv] Importing files...

Neil Whelchel koyama at firstlight.net
Mon Sep 27 14:15:22 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>
> >On Monday 27 September 2004 04:14, Neil Whelchel wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>With all of the .nuv export talk floating around, I just had to
> >>ask... Why are there not any nice utilities floating around to IMPORT
> >>TO .nuv? Sure mythrtanscode does work for some things, but what I am
> >>really looking to do is to re-encode .avi files and .vob files to
> >>.nuv.
> >>Afterall, why should I have to use xine or mplayer to handle playback
> >>of files with the MythVideo package when I can use mythtv as the
> >>player? If you have a Myth setup, why bother with other formats, I
> >>say, rip the DVD straight to .nuv and be done with it.. If you really
> >>NEED to use another player for some reason, then export it at that
> >>time...
> >>

> >That's what the 'Internal' player in MythVideo is for.  Why transcode
> >when Myth can natively play back pretty much any format supported by
> >ffmpeg?
> >
> >The internal player is now quite usable (thanks, JDS) for most files,
> >though it does still have a few seeking issues with FF/REW in .avi
> >files.
> >

> One thing I'd like to do is have an easy way to import some AVI and
> other format files into the Watch Recordings screen rather than
> MythVideo where I can enter a simple title/description and have it show up.
>
> Kevin

Yes, I have been doing this by hand for some time now for importing VHS.
Maybe it is about time that an 'IMPORT FORM VIDEO SOURCE' module is made
along with a few minor mods to the setup application to bind inputs to
things other than tuners.
IE: 'VCR' 'LaserDisk' 'D1' 'Video Camera' 'AUX'...
A few simple controls would be all that would be needed 'Record' 'Pause'
Something to name and describe the file (though this could be an up
hill battle without a keyboard) and if you really whsh to get
fancy, something to select one of the encoding profiles and maybe some
time lapse functions.
-Neil Whelchel-