[mythtv] waiting for prebuffer...

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Fri Sep 24 22:39:11 EDT 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:
> The pauses happen when the log says "prebuffering pause"/"prebuffer wait
> timed out..".
>
> I have seperate backend/frontend machines connected via gigabit
> ethernet.  The backend machine's load is usually arround 0.3 if I am
> watching and recording at the same time.
>
> Does "prebuffering pause" indicate that the backend is not sending data
> to the frontend quick enough?

It's actually when the NVP is not getting enough frames from the
decoder, which can happen when the backend's not sending MPEG fast
enough, or when they're not being decoded fast enough.  What's the load
like on the frontend?

Does it help at all if you uncomment the calls to run the decoder at
realtime priority?  (This is not a good idea in general -- sometimes
makes the videoout thread starved for cycles and jittery -- but if it
improves matters might indicate that the decoder thread's starved for
CPU).  Could the driver for your gigabit ethernet be hogging CPU for
longish periods?  Can you try to make the MTU smaller?

-Doug