[mythtv] SI/PSIP Parser

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 22:01:16 EDT 2004

>> But caching the TVCT isn't so bad since the broadcasters are discouraged
>> from changing the subchannel<->programID mapping very often.
>
> Completly agree with you on this, MythTV's tuning/channel changes is slow
> already, and adding to this delay is just lame.

I think I misstated myself here.. I agree the SDT/TVCT (DVB/ATSC) should be stored in the
Database.. The PAT/PMT I question.. I say this because if a service moves you might tune to the
wrong channel and not know it if you don't want a few milliseconds for the PMT or the PIDs might
not be there at all..

It seems easier than a scheme where you get the PIDs from the DB and then verify a tad later and
send a signal to the record to hold on and get the right PIDS.. If the services you watch uses the
"Service Move" descriptor you can eliminate tuning errods by just grabing the PMT and handling
it..