[mythtv] SI/PSIP Parser

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 22 02:41:23 EDT 2004

> Sounds like a good plan, especially if it means we can finally start
> combining some of the common things between the HDTV and DVB classes.

I agree completely. I don't see why the 2 groups haven't worked together more already.

> Since I was considering looking into the whole channel-scanning thing at
> some point in the future anyways, I'd be more than happy to contribute
> to working on the hdtvrecorder hooks or whatever if Daniel's otherwise
> occupied.

OK I will let you know when I get it somewhere.  I was thinking of having a signal called
something like Tune() that would allow you to hook it into the channeltype for each ATSC and DVB
to allow the parser to change transports to get more guide which might help.. Is the PCHDTV tuning
handled by the V4L code right now?

> As far as guide information is concerned (and I think someone else may
> have asked a similar question), what's your goal for working with
> zap2it?  Is the plan to use zap2it, but allow the OTA guide to revise
> start/stop times, to have the guide overwrite descritions from zap2it, or
> something in between?  Or have you not gotten that far yet? Just
> wondering...

I was thinking you would choose one or the other per video source at least initially.  For DVB
that works out just fine usually, but there might have to be some thought put into a mixed mode
like you are talking about.

With my settop ATSC box I can only get guide on 2 stations (I have yet to get my PCHDTV to work),
so I would want to override the guide on the other channels with zap2it information.. It could be
done on a transport by transport basis..

The DB strucure for ATSC is one entry per virtual channel in the channel table, and nothing
linking the virtual channels together (i.e. another table in the DB).. With DVB there will be a
table linking each program (virtual channel) to a transports table.  This simplifies the process
for flagging a transport for OTA guide (EIT to be correct), or zap2it.. I think this question
needs to be answered for a simple mixed mode method to work out OK..

You could piggyback off of my new dvb_transport table structure for PCHDTV (maybe calling the
table something more arbitrary like transports) and solve this.  It might also be a good way of
saying "this is an analog channel, or this is a atsc channel).

I might have to get my PCHDTV workig to test out the ATSC guide I slapped together between
yesterday and today since it seems to work well so far but looking at "PBS SD Event" doesn't
really tell you if its totally right.