[mythtv] OS X Performance

Bruce Dillahunty bdillahu at peachbush.com
Tue Sep 21 22:37:27 EDT 2004

Hello to the Mac hackers (and others...), me again.

I got around to recompiling QT with some better optimizations to see if
that helps performance... well, I guess it might have, but that's
pretty subjective... performance in the menus and stuff seems better,
but actual video playback doesn't really seem better.

Anyway, in playing with that, I discovered a function of "Activity
Monitor" (part of the OS, look in the Applications/Utilities folder)...
If you open the "Show Activity Monitor", then you can find the
mythfrontend process...s elect it and you can click the "Inspect" "i"
button... from there, there is a "sample" button... it takes a bit, but
it gives and entire stack trace of what is running, what calls are
occurring in which thread, etc.

I don't know that it really means much to me, but I was thinking it
might help you guys figure what is using so much CPU.

Hope that is of assistance.
Bruce