[mythtv] RFE: Add sql server to settings.

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Sep 21 19:23:12 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 06:05 pm, IvanK. wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 05:47 pm, Jan Örnstedt  wrote:
> > A small piece is really missing from making easily distributed packaged
> > mythfrontends.
> >
> > That is updating the mysql.txt.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be great if this could be an additional settings in
> > mythfrontend.
> > And for instance if the db is not answering taking you directly to that
> > config page.
> >
> > How hard would this be to implement?
>
> Isaac has answered this before.  It won't happen, if I remember correctly,
> cause a frontend doesn't need to talk to a sql server.  It only needs to
> know what backend to use.  The backend needs to know what its sql server
> is, though.

Wrong.  Frontends need to talk to the same sql server as the backends do.  The
issue is that the mysql settings are stored in a text file, as they obviously
can't be stored in the database with all the rest of the settings.  I don't
think having one text file to edit is all that difficult, so I've never
bothered improving the situation.

Isaac