[mythtv] Debugging of mythbackend

Emlyn.Bolton at nokia.com Emlyn.Bolton at nokia.com
Tue Sep 21 16:45:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

I recently upgraded to 0.16, but built from fresh on Gentoo for a couple of other reasons.  Since I did this, I've frequently found mythbackend to be hogging 100% of my CPU when it should really be idle i.e. no transcoding going on.  I wanted to run the backend under gdb to figure out what it's actually doing, but this is proving to be somewhat problematic.
I do this:

media root # gdb /usr/bin/mythbackend
GNU gdb 6.0
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/mythbackend
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
Starting up as the master server.
2004-09-21 12:47:17 mythbackend: MythBackend started as master server

Program received signal SIG32, Real-time event 32.
0x413c3974 in pthread_getconcurrency () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) kill
Kill the program being debugged? (y or n) y
(gdb) quit

So I then did:

media root # ld /lib/libthread_db.so.1
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_pdwrite'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_pglobal_lookup'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_lsetfpregs'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_getpid'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_lsetregs'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_pdread'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_lgetfpregs'
/lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined reference to `ps_lgetregs'
media root #

and find out (through google) that gdb should provide these exported functions.

Sorry for being new to the linux debugging game, but what do I do in this case?  Help much appreciated!!

Emlyn Bolton