[mythtv] DVD iso image autoloader

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 21 06:14:40 EDT 2004

Richard wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a large collection of DVD's and I'd like to create a jukebox.
> Hard Drive space isn't a concern.
>
> What I want to do is create a DVD image onto the hard disk
> and have MythTV autoload that image either directly or via a loop back
> and have the DVD function as if it where in any sort of DVD player.
>
> Is this currently possible?
> if not, what would be necessary to make something like this feesable?

Well, you'll want to use Xine or Ogle to play back your DVDs I'm
guessing. MPlayer is my favourite media player but it's DVD menu support
is nothing short of non-existant!!

I just did an experiment for you:

I slapped a DVD in the drive and made an image with K3B.

For your information "file /tmp/k3b_image.img" gives:
k3b_image.img: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'EARTH_7

I then typed "mplayer /tmp/k3b_image.img" and it played the DVD's first
track - tho' no menus

I then typed "xine /tmp/k3b_image.img" and it moaned that no DeMuxer
plugin could be found. Renaming to .iso doesn't help....

I guess the easiest way to do it is to create a File Type in MythMovie
and have a small script/program that is the "player" for that file type
(e.g. your extension could be .iso or .dvd depending if .iso is already
used for VCD/SVCD).

Your script/program will take the filename, verify it's an ISO, mount it
via loopback and play it using the actual player e.g. Xine. When Xine is
done, it should umount it again.

Pretty simple solution. Naturally if you're gonna code anything, it
would be nicer to write a DeMuxer plugin for Xine that way everything
works nicely for everyone without making scripts, but this is probably
way simpler.

Oh, just found this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freevo-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg09437.html

So perhaps Xine will have support for .iso files shortly! There is your
solution!!!

Hope this helps

Col.