[mythtv] Using a staging file system when building myth

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 12 18:15:28 EDT 2004

Jan Örnstedt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to package mythtv but have som problems with installing it
> into a temporary staging area. If I change the PREFIX things will not
> work. Seems like mythtv doesn't respect DESTDIR...

A further point to note:

Make sure your staging area is not in /usr/local.

Nothing to do with Myth specifically, but qmake does odd things when
inside /usr/local  It basically makes loads of paths relative rather
than absolute which can really mess things up.

I spent ages playing with this until I realised it wasn't my fault!!

If you're building in a chroot, this shouldn't matter ('cause why use
/usr/local in a chroot??!), if not, and you need the space on
/usr/local, then you could bind mount your real build area to some path
other than /usr/local

e.g. mount -t none /usr/local/myth /myth -o bind

Hope this helps avoid a headache.

Col.