[mythtv] Mac OS X video: QuickTime implementation

bdillahu at peachbush.com bdillahu at peachbush.com
Wed Sep 8 09:08:57 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 03:40:05PM +1000, Nigel Pearson wrote:
> >Known problems:
> >
> >- On my PowerBook G4 800, I have frequent "prebuffering pause" and
> >"A/V diverged" problems.  Under v1, I couldn't draw enough frames to
> >trigger the prebuffering error, so I don't know if I did something
> >wrong.  Changing the kPrebufferFrames number alters, but does not
> >cure, the problem.  This is really where I'm stuck; Nigel, does your
> >superior hardware fix the issue?
>
> 	Yep. The pointer fix gives me a rock-solid scaled image,
> in either thousands or millions of colours. I even tried it
> in windowed mode (at 512x384), and was able to move the window
> and change the colour depth while it continued playing. Amazing!

Hmmm... haven't tried changing number of colors... duh. Tried changing
window size down as small as 320x240 and it still stutters just as bad.

> 	Now, for a really nice touch, having the program icon also
> displaying the image (if we are in windowed mode) would be
> freaking awesome. But only if you get bored :-)

That would be slick :-)

> 	I can't quite work out why performance is so bad for you
> and Bruce. As long as I am not running the debug version,
> even the v1 display code was fast enough for my large stream.
> My machine has the latest and greatest, but I thought that
> _any_ G4 would have enough hardware acceleration to do at
> least scaling, and probably YUV2RGB, in hardware (with v2).

Something seems really weird with all this. I tried (in the NuppleVideoPlayer)
disabling video, and the audio stutters. I tried disabling audio and the
video stutters... no matter what, my CPU is maxed at 100% when its playing,
and I get prebuffering pauses. Just seems like something isn't quite right,
since I would expect to be able to at least handle audio by itself on this
hardware.

In times past, I have had this same machine dual boot into Linux and ran
Myth with the old PPC patches and it would work... maybe not perfectly, but
much better than this, and usually with a little CPU left, so I think the
hardware can do it.

I just point all this out so that maybe something obvious will jump out at
you guys... if I can run any tests for you, let me know.

Bruce