[mythtv] pcHDTV advice

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 3 23:23:48 EDT 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 19:27, John Freer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm about to rebuild my system, and I'd like to install the 2.6.7
> atrpms kernel that's up on axel's site right now to base the system
> on.
>
> I'm fairly sure I need to patch the kernel source and recompile the
> 2.67 at kernel.

Definitely need to patch.

> Could someone suggest whether or not its worth trying to patch the AT
> kernel?  or should I just go with a standard 2.6.6 and patch that.
> Any benefit to working off 2.6.7?

I've got both an AT kernel and RH's 2.6.8-1.521 patched with the pcHDTV
driver. The pcHDTVified bttv module loads, recognizes the card,
registers /dev/dtv0 and everything, but I can't get anything to work
with the digital part. Myth sees the analog side of the card fine, as
does xawtv, but it won't probe the digital side properly. On top of
that, dtvsignal segfaults even on channels I know used to work (when I
was running on a 2.4 kernel) and dtvstream shows constant sync errors,
and reports no good sub-channels.

At the moment, I'd recommend using 2.6.7 and these instructions:
http://thegeorges.us/mythtv/

That's the next thing I'm going to try myself (but probably with the
1.4ulmo patches added on top). If it works, I'll likely package it up
in rpm form...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com