[mythtv] MythVideo Trailers suggestions needed!

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Sep 2 15:24:22 EDT 2004

Andrei Rjeousski wrote:

>Hi, I've started working on the patch to add trailers support to
>mythvideo. I have already coded a perl script for which given an IMDB
>number, it gets URL for the trailer from www.apple.com (similar to
>what "imdb.pl -P" is doing). I am new to development for myth, and
>just wanted to hear some suggestions.
>
>Heres how i think it should work:
>I was thinking of storing locations to trailers the same way as
>mythvideo currently stores path's to posters. (may be have another
>trailer status column, which would denote if the trailer exists,
>doesnt exist or the video is new and we haven't tried to get the
>trailer yet.
>
>The main trailer downloader application would be similar to
>mythfilldatabase, which could be scheduled using cron or ran manually.
>This application would actually go though all the movies and download
>them. The trailers would have to be downloaded, since not everyone has
>a fast enough connection to actually stream them.
>
>In the main mythvideo browser when pressing "info" button, there will
>be an option to watch trailer if it exists. May be even have an icon
>somewhere on the screen indicating whether the trailer exists.
>
>I'd love to hear your suggestions on the best way to implement this.
>
>I am attaching my trailer finder script and again, i'd love to hear
>your suggestions and comments :)

I'm actually considering writing an add-on to scrape theater listings
from Amazon.com until they include them in their web services API.  I'd
think that trailers are more appropriate for unreleased videos/movies
rather than those that I already have in my collection...perhaps it
would work well in that framework...

Kevin