[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 11:41:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 01:20, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Maybe you (or anyone) could post some reasons why support for Postgres
> would be useful, and why MySQL isn't sufficient? So far there seems to
> have been plenty of people wanting it and/or offering to help, without
> really explaining why.
>
> Hamish

I am just starting to read up on mythtv getting ready to implement one.
A while back I asked about postgresql support since I am more familiar
with postgresql than mysql.  I have used both but recently I have been
using postgresql more at work due to the licensing issues with mysql in
commercial environments.  That should not apply here for personal use
but would be an issue for any commercial products.

IMHO both databases are roughly equivalent, they tend to leap frog each
other for some minor features as would be expected.  I have heard of
some issues with table corruption in mysql but I have yet to see
definitive proof that the problem was in the database code and not
hardware or application code.  YMMV.

So for me it is more an issue of using the package I am more familiar
with instead of having to keep up with another database package.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The qotc (quote of the con) was Liz's: