[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Wed Sep 1 03:27:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 15:20 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:30:57PM -0700, Mike Benoit wrote:
> > Obviously MythTV is your baby, and I respect your opinions and
> > decisions, but just tell us upfront that your not interested so people
> > don't waste their time (and yours) trying to come up with solutions.
>
> Maybe you (or anyone) could post some reasons why support for Postgres
> would be useful, and why MySQL isn't sufficient? So far there seems to
> have been plenty of people wanting it and/or offering to help, without
> really explaining why.

PostgreSQL has many features over and above that of MySQL. Not all would
be directly useful to MythTV unless MythTV had code to make specific use
of them.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

- PGSQL is considered more "stable" by some people. I've never
personally had a PGSQL database become corrupt and not start. MySQL on
the other hand seems to do this once a quarter for me. I would guess
this is probably the single biggest reason for most people wanting to
switch.

- Transactions and sub-transactions (v8.0).

- prepared queries

- Complex queries are sometimes faster in PGSQL. This may, or may not
help with MythTV scheduling.

-* Triggers (for instance, I could write a trigger that moves the .nuv
file to a NFS/Samba server and replaces it with a symlink once its done
recording automatically. This would be _very_ nice for myself, then I
could make use of the 60gb on my second machine)

I'm sure there are more, but as I mentioned, this is just a quick list
off the top of my head.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>