[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Wed Sep 1 00:30:57 EDT 2004

This is what David Härdeman <david at 2gen.com> wrote:

>>>Create a lightweight DB wrapper that will accept MySQL queries and
>>>either pass them directly to the database (in case it's a MySQL
>>>backend)
>>>or do some dynamic rewriting and then pass it to the backend (if
>>>it's anything but a MySQL backend).

Queries, dynamic, rewriting, all in the same sentence. Did I read that
wrong?

> > The hardest part about supporting multiple databases is almost always
> > schema creation/updating. Updating usually being the most difficult. A
> > possible solution is to use the XMLSchema (http://adodb-
> > xmlschema.sourceforge.net/docs/ ) library that comes with ADODB.
>
> No additional dependencies.

So, to summarize this thread so far:

- You don't want to have to write duplicate SQL queries, even if its
just for creating/modifying the schema

- You won't let anyone else take responsibility for looking after
alternate database code.

- You don't want supporting more then one database to be any extra work
whatsoever.

- You don't want to use any _already existing_ tools (because they do
exist) that might help make the process less work. Because you don't
want to add dependencies, even if the tool only needs to be run ONCE per
schema change, and have the resulting SQL output saved which could then
be run on users machines. Thereby NOT requiring additional dependencies
for users.

Short of re-inventing the wheel (writing a MythTV specific library that
magically converts MySQL table schema's to PostgreSQL), I get the
impression your not interested in even entertaining the option of
supporting more then just MySQL?

Obviously MythTV is your baby, and I respect your opinions and
decisions, but just tell us upfront that your not interested so people
don't waste their time (and yours) trying to come up with solutions.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>