[mythtv] New Install - 0.16 or CVS?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sun Oct 31 00:39:19 UTC 2004

Jeff Thompson wrote:

> Agreed. Again, I'm brand new to mythtv. There's obviously an active
> development community and my only exposure to mythtv development has
> been reviewing the mythtv-dev mailing list. I see lots of people
> submitting patches to the mailing list, but it's unclear how those
> patches get committed. Are there people scouring the mythtv-dev
> mailing list and reviewing the patches to determine what gets
> committed and what is rejected?

In general patches get applied either by the "owner" of a particular
feature or by Isaac.  Ocasionaly other developers with CVS access will
apply patches from the community if they feel that they're needed
quickly or to take some of the burden off of Isaac.  Pretty much every
patch gets reviewed by interested folks in the community and those with
CVS access.  Lack of comment on a patch doesn't mean it's been rejected
(or accepted) just that no body has had the time to comment on it.

> I'll certainly start with 0.16, but I'll move to CVS once I'm
> comfortable building/installing mythtv. I'm sure I'll do like you,
> selectively apply patches to my running version, rather than always
> run from the CVS HEAD version.

If you're worried about stability, don't run CVS on your main machine.
Or wait a couple days after each big commit to see what the fallout
is.   Things rarely break bad and when they do it's usually not for very
long.