[mythtv] Patch: VolumeControl update

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Sat Oct 30 19:51:38 UTC 2004

> Since everyone is busy, I decided to stick my nose in.  Hopefully this
> will help Ed get everything together more quickly once he has time; if
> not, please ignore this message.  ;)
>
> The attached patch (against current CVS) integrates David's code with
> Ed's latest package.  It moves the VolumeControl functions into the
> AudioOutput class, with most of the method implementations in
> AudioOutputBase.  David's ALSA volume code is moved into
> audiooutputalsa.cpp (hopefully I got this added correctly, as I don't
> have an ALSA system for testing).  There's a new method in NVP to
> expose the AudioOutput for the player; tv_play.cpp uses this instead
> of a VolumeControl instance to handle the volume functions.
>
> I also added a previously discussed feature: when muting the left or
> right channel, the data for the other sound channel is duplicated, so
> you get mono sound from both speakers.
>
> With these changes, the VolumeControl class is effectively out of the
> picture for TV watching.  Mythmusic would need stubs for the extra
> AudioOutput methods in its custom output class, but it could still use
> the old VolumeControl for its functionality.  Later, mythmusic can be
> updated to use the standard AudioOutput classes and their integrated
> volume controls.

Hi Jeremiah,

I have taken your code here, and patched a few bugs in the Alsa code (I
think some bits must have been missing?).  I have also implemented the
volume code into the bottom level class (which I think makes sense?).
It's just a cut and paste change in any case

So basically this patch against recent CVS introduces volume control
functionality for the TV part in most audio drivers, fixes some alsa
bugs, and provides a big update for the coreaudio folks (it might also
make the arts driver work nicely...?).

I would be grateful if people could test this, but if there are no
complaints then I think this is ready for cvs.  Isaac, could you please
look it over and commit?

Ed W