[mythtv] New Install - 0.16 or CVS?

Mark Spieth mark at dclabs.com.au
Fri Oct 29 22:49:47 UTC 2004

I too use CVS HEAD most of the time. very stable and have not seen problems
since just after I started in august.
my process was to
1. extract the source for the latest stable version package (debian for me)
2. make sure it works by makeing packages and installing and running ;-)
3. check out HEAD in a different dir
4. move all CVS dirs and the debian dir into the stable extracted tree. a
nice script will do this for you
5. change the version in debian/changelog to something like 0.16.0 (my dev
version number for packages)
6. change the root dir to mythtv-0.16.0 (same as step 5)
7. got to root dev dir (see step 6) and cvs up -d
8. do a fakeroot make -f debian/rules clean binary

and you have new packages to install which are based on CVS HEAD but have
the odd package mod (deb has 2).
redhat and others should have a similar setup method.
be careful not to update during a partial commit so you have to read the
commit list too.
If you find something wrong. fix it and submit a patch :)
cheers
mark