[mythtv] Audio update with volume

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sun Oct 24 22:29:01 UTC 2004

On 10/24/2004 06:06 PM, Jesper Sörensen wrote:

> Thanks! I won't be able to test this for a week or two but I took a
> quick a quick glance at your patch and I have a little question.
>
> In the error handling in WriteAudio, it seems you removed the check
> for -ESTRPIPE and placed the suspend handling under -EPIPE instead.
> I'm no Alsa expert, and maybe this depends on which Alsa version you
> use, but according to the link below underrun and suspend are two
> different errors with different error codes:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m___direct.html#a2

Yes, you are right.  I remember having -ESTRPIPE at one time.  Looks
like I messed it up before the patch I sent and was committed on Sep
7th.  I'll added the -ESTRPIPE back in.

> BTW, do you know of any way to "generate" those errors? I was only
> able to get a few underruns (occasionally when changing channels), and
> it's kinda hard to debug the error handling if you don't have any
> errors... ;-)

I haven't been able to get an -ESTRPIPE.  With an Intel ICH4 I have been
able to consistently get underruns just by using Alsa 1.0.6.  Drop back
to 1.0.5a and everything works.  The latest patches have been tested
with Alsa 1.0.5a and Alsa CVS (on Intel ICH4) without underruns (haven't
tried 1.0.6 again).

--
David