[mythtv] Preemptive Disk Writes

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 24 18:26:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 06:21:48PM +1000, Christian Hack wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:24:10 -0400 (EDT), Eric M. Reischer
> > <emr at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
> > > Just a thought I had after setting up my mythbox (package
> > is awesome by
> > > the way).  Since I have a brand new 120 GB disk and I want
> > it to last
> > > awhile, I set up noflushd to spin down the disk after an hour of
> > > inactivity.  I've noticed, however, that my programs tend to start
> >
> > Statistically speaking, your drive is way more likely to fail on spin
> > up, than in the middle of spinning at full speed. All the drives I've
> > ever had which failed, the cause was a failure to spin up.
>
> That's not at all what he's talking about - perhaps you were just giving a
> heads up though?

That was certainly how I read it: it expands to "don't do that, it's a
bad idea, and here's why:".  I'm not sure I agree, but certainly, it's
OT for this list.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi