[mythtv] MythMusic metadata read/write rewrite... stumbling block....

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Fri Oct 22 14:25:01 UTC 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 05:47 pm, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is mainly for Thor or any other interested party.

 Heh. Well, unfortunately, I think you now know much more about mp3 tag
editing than I do.  :-)

> I've attached a patch, but it's only really for the sake of looking as
> it's still got a few problems.

 Great to hear you're still working on this and making progress.

> Vorbis Comments in a FLAC stream seem to be a
> little odd in that they work fine on first write and then the file just
> grows there after.

 You are probably just adding more headers. ogg/vorbis is very flexible this
way. I forget the details, but there is a way to overwrite an existing
tag:data pair rather than just add another.

> Basically, libid3tag (part of MAD) will only update the id3v2 tag if the
> tag size doesn't change.

 That sucks.

> However, even if I do patch libid3tag, I need a shorter term workaround
> as it'll take a while for my id3tag patch to filter through to real
> environments. So I really need to get LAME writing it's header size
> correctly. Should I just post process the LAME file and write the header
> size correctly? THis shoudl be relativly simple.

 Sounds sensible. You might want to have a look at how easy tag does things:

  http://easytag.sourceforge.net/

 I'm not familiar with the code base, but I use it and it always seems to work
properly.

 Wish I had a magic bullet for you though. Perhaps someone else knows of one?

- thor