[mythtv] Bug in 0.16 scheduler?

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 14:44:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:57:04AM +0200, Thomas B?rkel wrote:
> Thanks to Joseph and Bruce for the informative explanations.

Yes.  Bruce always does a much better job of describing things than
me, so I usually defer to him respond first.

> But there is no real conflict here. If the scheduler would first try
> straight forward, then it would have come to my solution above, because
> there is no conflict. There are enough tuner cards available to do the
> job. And it should not prefer tuner 1 over tuner 2, when I have not set
> tuner priorities.

If it's so straight forward, then please send a patch.  Please make
sure the scheduler doesn't get into an infinite loop or take an
inordinately long time when exhaustively trying every combination of
program and tuner.

FWIW, when I was reworking the scheduler, I quickly came to the
realization that there was no "best" way to do it, because everyone
has their own definition of best.  Consequently, I aimed for an
approach that was determinstic, did a pretty good job in most cases
and provided a way to tweak things manually when needed.  I think I
succeeded.  However, if you have very specific ideas on how to improve
the current scheduler, I'm all ears.

David
--
David Engel