[mythtv] FIX "do not autoexpire" Flag made persistent

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Oct 7 00:30:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 07:06:24PM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > What if we just inverted the flag so that it indicates "Keep this until
> > I delete it".  Then it's just a matter of a dbCheck update and some UI
> > text for the existing installations.
>
> If all people want "Preserve" to mean is that the system won't delete a
> recording, but that the user can, then this might work.  If "Preserve"
> means that the user (or their kids) can't accidentally delete a recording,
> then this won't.
>
> I could go for either definition since I don't have any kids right now. :)

Either approach requires finding *everything* that deletes recordings
and making it respect the flag, as far as I can see.

I don't much care what the polarity of the flag is, but IMO, it needs
to *mean* "nothing at all can delete this", and if a user wants to
delete something, they should have to manually unflag it.

And all new code that might delete recordings should have to respect it.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi