[mythtv] FIX "do not autoexpire" Flag made persistent

Marcel Meier linux at meiersos.ch
Wed Oct 6 13:48:11 UTC 2004

Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 02.30 schrieb Chris Pinkham:
> > To me, there are really only two states: the system is allowed to
> > delete this recording for whatever reason deemed necessary by the
> > options I specified, or do not allow the system, under any
> > circumstances, to remove a recording that I've decided to keep.
>
> I agree with the two states, and that's what a undeltable/preserve
> field would indicate.
>
> > Because of this, I believe there should only be one flag. It doesn't
> > matter if it's called "Auto Expire", "Allow Delete", or "Keep",
> > "Preserve", "Archive", whatever (however, I don't like the double
> > negative nature of "Undeletable". It is always better to say what
> > something will do rather than what it won't not do).
>
> That's why I keep putting that in quotes, I couldn't think of a
> better one-word description suitable for a column name. :)
>
> > Of course it would be technically possible to have options to say
> > that a recording could be allowed to be deleted if there are too
> > many episodes but not if the disk is full or delete if the disk
> > is full but not if there are too many episodes but what would be
> > the point of that? I'm sure someone could contrive an example of
> > the exception that proves the rule but I have to believe that using
> > multiple flags would be more prone to user error and confusion than
> > doing anything useful. I don't want to consider multiple scenarios
> > and multiple options when I decided to hang onto something. Either
> > I've decided to keep it and I don't want any surprises or I'll
> > allow the system to remove it whenever necessary. No other states
> > matter to me.

my 5 Rappen (swiss for cent)

1.
a) for a normal recording (not made as a Episode with max Ep.) "not Auto Expire"
means "undeletable/preserve"
b) for a recording made as a Episode with max Ep. "not Auto Expire" means
"undeletable/preserve" as long as not against Episode rule but
same text as for a normal recording, at least in German, OK I admit was to lazy to look if its
the same in English, shame on me, so at least it is a little bit missleading.

2.
a) if a field for the "episode recordings" is added for "preserving/not Auto Expire"
this Episodes it could be used to let both recording types behave the same way
b) When the recording is on of the Episode type, the Menu item has three states
I)   "Auto Expire"
II)  "not Auto Expire"
III)  "preserving&not Auto Expire"
-> suggestions for better naming are wellcome
c) when a recording is made as a Episode and then it is flagged by the User as to
be "preserving/not Auto Expire" a Dialog box could ask if the max Episode counter should be
raised by one because from this X Episodes Y are marked as "preserving/not Auto Expire"
so the User could decide what he want if he wants more Episodes or what else.

This will give
a) no overloading of the Autoexpire field
b) nearly full flexibility for everyone and every situation
c) no need for a separate Menu item
d) no changes in the UI where no one was needed (normal recordings)

make  this sense to you?

Marcel