[mythtv] FIX "do not autoexpire" Flag made persistent

Marcel Meier linux at meiersos.ch
Tue Oct 5 12:52:59 UTC 2004

> I've had a few of the emails on this subject saved off so I could reply to
> them and haven't had a chance yet, but figured I should go ahead since
> someone is actually coding on this.
>
> I think that "Max Episodes" should mean "Max Episodes", not "Max Episodes
> except when blah."
>
> I also think the two settings (Max Episodes and Auto-Expire) should be kept
> independent of each other as they function now and as they were intended
> to function by the original author (me). :)
>
> The best way I see to accomplish what you and others want is to add a
> column to the recorded table which allows the user to flag a recording as
> UnDeletable.  This has been discussed several times on the list but no-one
> has stepped up to code it and it hasn't been a itched me enough for me to
> scratch it.  The new "undeletable" field should apply in all delete
> situations:
>
>         - If the user tried to delete the recording in mythfrontend, a "nice"
>       popup would let them know it was undeletable (and preferably, don't
>           even show them the delete button on the popup menu).
>         - The Delete code in mythbackend would check the undeletable field before
>           deleting a recording (to make sure no other process other than
>           mythfrontend/mythweb can delete a recording)
>         - The max episodes code would skip items marked as undeletable when
>           searching for a recording to delete.  It would still not allow more
>           than X recordings if Max Episodes was set to X, but would only delete
>           things not marked as undeletable.
>         - Auto-Expire would honor the undeletable flag and would exclude
>           undeletable recordings from the auto-expire ordered list when it tried
>           to determine what recording to delete if necessary.
>         - MythWeb should check the undeleteable field and not display the Delete
>           button for a recording.
>

> Auto-expire means Auto-Expire and Max Episodes means Max Episodes and hacking
> in a few special cases will only make things more confusing for the user and
> make the code harder to follow.  If there is some form of UnDeletable field,
> it's easy to understand and would/should be globally applied.  I think this
> would cover all the situations that people have presented and be clearer.
> This also gives people protection from things like kids accidentally deleting
> that movie you've been waiting 2 months to see that just recorded last week
> but you haven't had a chance to watch yet. :)
>
> > here the Diff for the "don't record if this would exceed the max episode" part :
>
> Actually, I think that was the diff for the "don't delete recordings that
> aren't set to auto-expire when you're looking to delete recordings over the
> max episodes limit" part.  :)
>
> --
>
> Chris

Hi,

As mentioned in a other posting, I found out myself that this discussion was already up 2 month ago.
I didn't want to mess up your code im any way and I also not had any Intention that I should be added to the CVS. I think I'm to new here to already do such things.
My sole intention was to add this feature for me as long as not anything similar is in Myth. And if someone who know what he is doing also have the possibility to ad
this feature to his CVS. I did not want to step on anyones toe or offend someone, I was only learning to understand Myth and add a feature I already missed once ore twice.
Also after some translation from English to German and inserting RSS feeds it was my first go at doing something real to the source code.
I also thought that after my first posting and the discussion in august I said to myself, that maybe someone else finds it also usefull.

To your replay:
Sure a "undeletable" Flag will do it also, but I think as I did it in my Fix the so marked recordings should not be counted in the "maxepisodes"
field or maybe to solve our intention and mine it would be best, when such an Episode is flagged as "undeletable" the following Popup will ask if the
"Maxepisode" counter should be raised also by one - or maybe even a Setupflag for this behavior. ;-) Otherwise there would be another place to confuse
the "normal" customer.

The rest of your assumptions sounds right to me.
The "undeletable" Flag should it only be possible to reset from the same user who set it or from anyone?

Some of the confusion maybe also raise because of the missleading translation from English to German.
the German "nicht autom. löschen" means "not delete automatically" which I think is something else than "don't autoexpire"

Thanks for your time Chris, and all of you for your good work.

Marcel

PS: I apologize in advance for wrong spellings ;-))