[mythtv] contrib: myth database optimization

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:38:36 UTC 2004

I actually hacked into mythfilldatabase a call to OPTIMIZE TABLE on
the tables that get jossled around on a nightly basis (based on
looking at which tables could be optimized in phpMyAdmin). I think
that'd probably be the best solution. It helped the first time I did
it (some operations got noticably faster). But doing it every night
keeps the tables fairly clean so I can't say I notice the difference
now.

Just to give you some comparison. After 3 weeks my database had
achieved 2.3MB overhead out of a 53.1MB database. That's roughly 4%
but it was contained mainly within 4 tables.

I'd say the next step in optimizing the SQL would be capture all the
statements that the system makes and run them through EXPLAIN and see
if we can tweak them.

-Doug