[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sat Nov 27 21:58:24 UTC 2004

> Adding in an assert for a _known_ problem is just plain stupid.  It
> doesn't do anything to fix the issue, and it doesn't make the issue
> any more visible than a segfault does.

I agree, for a known problem the problem shoud be fixed instead.

When i code i add asserts for cases that shoud never happen and that i might
want to know if they happen anyway.
It's a lot easier to hit an asssert that having the program crash somewere
else posibly some place where it's hard to find the cause of the problem.

Since i use a macro for assserts i can have the asserts only when using a
debug build.
This is so i can add lots asserts without having to wory about them causing
problem for users.