[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Kenneth Aafløy lists at kenneth.aafloy.net
Sat Nov 27 21:02:12 UTC 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 21:49, Isaac Richards wrote:
> And what exactly is the difference to the end user?  The program would
> still exit with an assert there.  It doesn't matter to them if it's due to
> an assert or due to a segfault, all they know is that it's not running
> anymore.

It's a difference to the developer and the user, because for speed reasons
asserts can be removed when compiling products without bugs, and to
developers, because it tells them that this condition was not supposed to
happen, but since you are the only devel mattering here, it does not matter.

> > When was ignoring the error of a null pointer from a underlying library
> > (which might have been caused by the user of the library) become a good
> > thing to do?
>
> When using an assert causes the program to exit, and handling the null
> value will quite possibly work around this?

And what happends later? You even questioned this in response to the user
reporting the problem..so why are you even bothering arguing this with me?

Kenneth