[mythtv] [BT] SegFault in setup program

Dan Morphis dan.morphis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 05:54:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:36:28 -0600, james meyer
<james.meyer at operamail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:28 pm, Dan Morphis wrote:
>

> > I answered no to both questions, then get this:
> >

> > [mythtv at pvr mythtv]$ gdb /myth/mythtv/setup/setup
> > GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.19rh)
> > Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
> > libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
> >
> > (gdb) run
> > Starting program: /store/myth/mythtv/setup/setup
> > [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> > [New Thread -1208063712 (LWP 7772)]
> > [New Thread -1210192976 (LWP 7777)]
> > Error loading image file: /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/default/forward.png
> > The 'active' tag needs to come before the 'activetext' tag
> > Error loading image file: /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/default/NOTHING.png
> >
> Try updating from cvs and your problem should be fixed.  I believe your problem is cause by the fact forward.png is missing.
> -jm

Ahh, your right.  I presumed it didn't work because I had a segfault
with mythfrontend which looked strikingly similiar to the segfault I
had with mythbackend after I updated to the latest cvs.

Anyways, the hunt is on.  Is anyone else seeing the ever growing
memory leak with latest cvs?  I'm seeing anywhere from 800k - 1200k
per second in memory being eaten up .  I've traced it to mythbackend.
If I kill mythbackend, the ever growing memory usage goes away.  I
haven't been able to fully figure out if the problem occurs when a
recording is not in progress.  I can tell you it does in fact occur
when a recording is in progress.

I've seen valgrind mentioned here, and did install/run valgrind.  But
I'm not familiar enough with it to imho produce output useful enough
to paste here.  If someone has some pointers on it, I would be willing
to entertain their input.

-dan