[mythtv] RE: mythrecipe

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:38:02 UTC 2004

Ok, I've been playing with the nutritional information and I don't
think we will be able to automate it. I downloaded the sr17 document
from the usda and it's already formatted as a relational database so I
created the tables and wrote a quick perl script to parse the text
files and load them into mysql. Now for the automation problem. If I
search for chicken, I get 165 matches. Here's a sample of some of
them:

| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT&SKN,RAW                 |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT&SKN,CKD,FRIED,BATTER    |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT&SKN,CKD,FRIED,FLR       |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT&SKN,CKD,RSTD            |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT&SKN,CKD,STWD            |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT ONLY,RAW                |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT ONLY,CKD,FRIED          |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT ONLY,CKD,RSTD           |
| CHICKEN,BROILERS OR FRYERS,WING,MEAT ONLY,CKD,STWD           |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,MEAT&SKN&GIBLETS&NECK,RAW                   |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,MEAT&SKN&GIBLETS&NECK,CKD,RSTD              |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,MEAT&SKN,RAW                                |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,MEAT&SKN,CKD,RSTD                           |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,MEAT ONLY,RAW                               |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,MEAT ONLY,CKD,RSTD                          |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,GIBLETS,RAW                                 |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,GIBLETS,CKD,SIMMRD                          |
| CHICKEN,ROASTING,LT MEAT,MEAT ONLY,RAW                       |

Now what we could do is for each ingredient present a list similar to
above and allow the user to choose the best match. Also the
nutritional information alone if about 50 megs. (well the sql
statement that creates the tables and inserts the data is about 50
megs). Now I imagine some of this data could be axed, most of it is
the actual ingredient information. Anyone see a problem with this?
Maybe we can make it an optional feature so people don't have to
install it and just make it a seperate download?

Also I found out that not only am I buying a house, I am also going to
be a dad! Therefore my part in this project may go slowly.
-Chris
--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi