[mythtv] Discussion: make playback available in all UI screens

Tyler Drake mythpcjabber at ec.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 16:51:20 EST 2004

I like the idea. I have even had the idea myself.  See below.

>Now, before everybody jumps on me, I do know about the new mfd
>stuff Thor's been working on, and that's a step in the right
>direction.
>However, I'm thinking more along the lines of LiveTV or
>WatchingRecording... what if the video playback in Myth was
>also part of mfd (or some other daemon process)?  Then the
>playback could continue even if you switch to a different
>menu.  Kind of like the EPG is now in LiveTV.  Any theme that

Agreed.

>wanted to could contain a "black hole" UI element that would

I will use MCE as an example. MCE does this.  So does ShowShifter and
SnapStream (now BeyondTV 3), as do many others.  I like the way
Microsoft (did I just say 'I like' and 'Microsoft' in the same
sentence?) did this.  A theme, and then a "hole" where the media
goes.  I'll post a link to a PNG and a JPG (whatever format you
prefer...) showing my ideas about this.

>contain any currently-playing video.  If there was no video
>currently playing, then the "black hole" would not be

Agreed.

>displayed.  A jump point or global keybinding could take us
>back to full-screen mode.  For any screen that did not have a
>black hole, the playback would continue, but the video would
>be redirected to a null device, or behind the window, or
>whatever.  You'd still get audio.

Good idea. Or Myth could just 'cut' a hole in the theme, but I like
your idea better.

>Basically, the idea is that once a media playback event is
>initiated in Myth, it should only be stopped by:
>
>- user explicit action to stop it
>- reached end of playback
>- Myth requires the resource (i.e., LiveTV & Myth needs tuner
>for scheduled recording)

All valid points.

>This seems relatively easy for audio media w/ the new mfd
>client module; it can obviously keep the audio output device
>open regardless of what you're doing in the UI; it's just the
>video/black hole stuff that requires thought.

Exactly.  I may be able to help code this after I get a bit better
with C =)

>So, anybody else have thoughts on this?
>
>-JAC

- --Tyler