[mythtv] Backend dying

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Mar 22 04:34:13 EST 2004

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:54:21PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:

> the backend log:

> > > Sorry, to repet my request here, but my system has become
> _completly_
> > > unstable.
> > >
> > > Can someone _please_ tell me what this error message means?
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-20.html#ss20.9
> > and
>
> Hmm, thta link points to how to recompile MythtV with
> debuging so one can
> use gdb on it.
>
> Seems like a pretty extreme way to get a simple answer as to what a
> particular error message means.
>
> Not quite as much work as reading all of the source code to find it.
>
> But a lot more work than someone who already understans teh
> source code
> providing a simple answer.

Maybe the answer isn't as simple as you think or maybe the developers
just don't want to waste their time on people who  don't take the time
to read the documentation where it say that in case of crashing programs
you should recompile with debugging information, get the program to
crash and send the resulting trace to this list. Try it, it's the best
way to get a real answer.

Cheers,
-Tako