[mythtv] MythGallery OpenGL problems

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 10:00:54 EST 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 10:18, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Moving this over from the -users list, as I think it might be
> something with the way the MythGallery OpenGL transitions are written
> (or at least initialized)
>
> I recently rebuilt my existing Myth box, doing a bare-metal install
> of Fedora (had been using RH8).  Pretty much a seamless transition,
> except now the OpenGL transitions in MythGallery don't work.  Here's
> the situation:
>
> - Using GF4MX 420 with -4363 binary drivers from Nvidia
> - OpenGL ***is working***!!!  TuxRacer runs fine, Goom works in
> MythMusic, glxgears gives anywhere from 600 - 1000 fps.  I compiled
> some of the OpenGL examples in the Qt distribution, and they seem to
> work fine.
> - Using ATrpms kernel & nvidia-4363 driver rpm from ATrpms
> - Running Myth CVS from 3/15
>
> The thing is, when I run mythgallery with opengl transitions enabled,
> it doesn't crash.  I get no errors about GLX not being available.  It
> just seems to run the transition with no hardware acceleration... I
> get only a few frames/second.
>
> This is just a shot in the dark, but IIRC mythgallery is currently
> the only module to use the Qt OpenGL widget classes (I believe Goom
> is straight OpenGL)... so my first thought was that it was a problem
> or conflict w/Qt and my OpenGL installation... but the Qt example
> programs seem to work fine.  Is it possible the mythgallery
> transitions are missing some step in initializing OpenGL w/respect to
> Qt ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -JAC

Well, after much hair-pulling, I finally tried the brute-force solution:

I did:

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86 XFree86-devel (this breaks lots of dependencies)
rpm -e <all nvidia-graphics packages>

apt-get -f install (to re-install XFree86 + XFree86-devel & fix broken
dependencies)
apt-get install nvidia-graphics4363-kmdl-`uname -r`
apt-get install nvidia-graphics4363-devel

That seems to have done the trick!  My XFree86.0.log shows the GLX
extension loading, and the framerate on MythGallery looks better (hard
to tell over VNC, but it's noticeable).  Now to see if TuxRacer still
works...

-Joe