[mythtv] Strange scheduler bug

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Mar 11 02:18:01 EST 2004

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> Not quoting anything here since I'm behind in email, just replying to
> say that if/when I get around to implementing this it will just
> be a 2-state setting as I desribed earlier.  Either remove the
> oldrecorded entry when auto-expiring a program or don't (the

That would be great. Thanks, Chris. It sounds like David wants
to add things to oldrecorded only after they are deleted. That
would be a little different than it is right now. The only other
differences I can see are maybe if someone lost their directory
of recorded files (yuck!) the entries wouldn't be in oldrecorded.
Also it would give new meaning to "Duplicate location" since
something could be in Current recs but not Previous recs.

> I've got enough fuzzy programming to do trying to get commercial
> detection working good for every case anyway. :) Would be nice
> if the stations/networks would cooperate with me and let me know
> exactly when the commercials start/stop but they won't. :)

Hey, NBC won't even let you know when their shows start/stop =).

I've been using auto-skip ever since the day you added the "O"
menu and I believe I've only had to turn it off three times since.
I have to believe that signal quality and black level cutoff
(brightness) during recording affect blank detection. In fact,
I use the v4l2 Automatic Gain Control (AGC) for the bttv driver
and that might also help to get consistent results for blank
detection. I've seen people mention that SciFi may be a problem
but Scare Tactics auto-skips correctly for me every time.

--  bjm

BTW, I forgot to mutter in my sleep that "Oblivious" has unique
episode descriptions with no subtitle for this year's episodes but
subtitles for last year's:

mysql> select subtitle,description from program where title="Oblivious";
| subtitle          | description      |
| Ump Certification |                  |
|                   | Karate sensei.   |
|                   | Butler.          |
|                   | Adult movie P.A. |