[mythtv] developing MythXM module

Eric Macauley macauley at illinoisalumni.org
Mon Mar 1 19:46:57 EST 2004

Damion de Soto wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I don't know anything about XM/XMPCR radio stuff, does this appear as
> a standard video4linux (Radio Adapter) or v4l2 device ?

No, it's a pretty simple device.  Basically the USB interface to the
XMPCR is used as a serial port.  You send simple byte strings which
constitute some commands (power on/off, change channel, get song info,
etc.), and in return you get a response.  The XMPCR has a direct audio
out so it doesn't do anything fancy there.  I basically would want to
connect my XMPCR directly to my audio receiver, and just use myth to
change audio channels and see what's currently playing.

> I'd be interested in helping develop a video4linux myth module to play
> radio from FM tuner cards.
> Could these 2 things be easily combined ?

I'm not sure.  What I envision for the XM portion is a simple interface
that has what's playing on the current channel you are listening to, and
then a scroll window beneath which lists all other channels which you
can scroll through and select to change the channel.