[mythtv] Ideas for high quality TV-out

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 29 18:48:41 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
>
>> we're all going to be using monitor style non-interlaced displays
>> soon!
>
> Better tell that to the folks running 1080i...  Unless by soon you
> mean another 20 or 30 years down the road when HDTV gets retired.

Wow.  Talk about an optimist--20-30 years down the road?  ;)

NTSC specification was issued in February 1953.  HDTV's ATSC (at least
one of its 18 formats) "will" replace SDTV's NTSC in 2006/2007 (once
again, according to the optimists/politicians).  Therefore, it will take
at least 54 years (Feb 1953-Feb 2006) for NTSC to be replaced.

Mike