[mythtv] Semi-OT: Mailing list protocol

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jun 28 20:25:15 EDT 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 16:25, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >Ick. I run nothing below 1280x1024 (dual 19" LCDs at work, 21" CRT at
> > home).
>
> Well to be honest I hardly ever run anything below 1600x1200, I find it
> a nuisance to have to do coding on anything less ;-)
> But once in a while I do need to sit behind a system wit a very old 14"
> monitor that just doesn't go any further.

The 19" LCDs won't go over 1280x1024, the 21" CRT actually runs 1920x1440. But
then there's my iBook, which is 1024x768...

> >I definitely feel trimming excess sigs, footers and excess content is good
> >form, and I wish everyone did so, but I certainly don't expect it. I do
> >really despise top-posting though.
>
> Hmm weird, I don't think I really despise any of the methods, what I
> _do_ notice is that if somebody forces me to start scrolling I loose
> interest _very_ fast, especially after scrolling down a couple of time
> to a useless/uninteresting reply ;-)

I still read everything top-posted (if the subject looks like something I have
an interest in reading -- there's another protocol issue: good subjects...).
It just usually leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Probably because its often
top-posted on a number of inter-post and/or bottom-post messages, so its
nearly impossible to follow anything without some heavy lifting deciphering
who said what how many quote levels ago...

As for the useless/uninteresting, I sorta keep track of who actually has
something intelligent to say and who doesn't, and VERY quickly filter out a
lot of junk that way... Then other folks, I frequently read their postings,
even if its in a thread I have no interest in...

Crap, has this whole thing been on the dev list? Oops. I though it was on
users. Sorry for the noise, I'll stop now...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...