[mythtv] Ideas for high quality TV-out

Michael Wright mikewright at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jun 28 11:20:41 EDT 2004

Hi Ed,

I think the type of de-interlace I want to do is called "Bob
de-interlace".  This method basically takes the 25 FPS video and turns
the odd and even fields in a frame into 2 separate frames. These 2 are
then played back at 50 FPS.  Does the Kerneldeint filter do that?  I'll
try reading up anyway.

I don't believe the ability to display interlaced content correctly via
Nvidia TV-out is actually a function of the driver.  When TV-out is
enabled (via nv-tv-out), the card is programmed for 50Hz operation.  The
Chrontel TV encoder generates PAL fields on the fly I believe.  So I'm
guessing that if you display 50 FPS video while it is programmed for 50
Hz operation the TV will get each field correctly.  I.e. each frame of
the 50 FPS video will map directly to a PAL field.

Mike.