[mythtv] Can't we use Bugzilla on mythtv.org to keep things abit more structured?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 28 10:44:45 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Tako Schotanus wrote:
>

>> 2) the developers don't know what I'm good at or like doing or how
>> much time I have
>

> Then search the mailing list.  Do some homework...  It's not like is
> even remotely hard to come up with a list of things you could do
> without having it listed in bugzilla.

Like I said, finding something somewhere in the archives is NO
indication at all if it needs doing, if it was already done (oh yes,
we've got commit messages, yet another archive to wade through before we
can start) or if somebody is already doing it.

>> 3) I very much doubt that the developers have a list of things to do
>> either, otherwise such a list would have been mailed to this list
>> already
>

> I personally have a rather large todo list.  As do most of the folks
> who submit code, the thing is they're OUR lists we don't impose them
> on others.  Now, if someone were to ask me "is there something I could
> do" I could probably offload any number of things depending on the
> skill level / time constraints. We DO converse about ideas and plans
> but just reading this list doesn't give you the full picture.

Impose? How the hell would you be imposing if you would just publicise
that list? If they're bug you would just be saying "hey, this is what I
know still needs doing". If they are features it's "hey, wouldn't this
be cool? Wanna help?". I personally would not ever think you were
imposing anything and if I don't agree with your list I can always
ignore it.

>> 4) Isaac dislikes Wikis, I dislike chatrooms
>

> Then you're eliminating a large source of information.  It's not
> *critical* but it helps.
>

> Bottom line:  Would Bugzilla be helpful?  Yes!   Are you helpless
> without it?  No?

Well, we agree then. This is the only thing I've been pointing out all
this time.

> Honestly, if you have to have everything handed to you what kind of
> developer are you?  :-p

Actually a brilliant one, but without a shred of initiative, so imagine
what you're missing out on by not "handing" me "everything" ;-p

-Tako