[mythtv] Can't we use Bugzilla on mythtv.org to keep things abit more structured?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 28 05:07:31 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Morten wrote:
>
>> I think it's directly *shameful*, that a project like this one doesn't
>> have a structured way of sorting out the reported bugs. The mailing list
>> we're all using here is just a huge "bomb list", where you don't know if
>> people actually read your mails, and the mails just keep on coming in a
>> looooong row with no overview at all!
>>

> Shameful eh?  How do you know there's not a lot of things going on
> that you don't have a clue about?

Than it's shameful that those who do have a clue don't share it with the
rest of the _community_ because I don't have a clue either (but hey, he
quoted me so it's obvious I don't have a clue, now don't I?)

>> The thing is that nobody have the big picture of what's going on here!!!
>>

> No *you* don't have the big picture.  Your lack of information doesn't
> mean everyone is missing out.

Saying _nobody_ has the big picture is admittedly litterally incorrect
because there are _some_ who have the big picture, but that's only a
small group. So what Morten is saying (and I have said before) is that
there are more people out there that wouldn't mind spending some time
fixing bugs or implementing small features. But unless there is a list
or somebody that can tell us what can/needs to be done you are not going
to get those people involved.

>> And I don't give #%!* about the excuse that goes "Bugzilla reminds me of
>> work", since it *is* a good thing to structure things a bit. (Just don't
>> do it to death, okay!)
>>

> I'm pretty sure most folks don't give #%!* about what you don't give
> #%!* about.

Jeez, pipe down man, no need to get personal.

>> I'd love to do some serious bug-fixing here, and coding the things that
>> people really miss. -- It's just a shame that it's impossible to find
>> out what people really want, and what's important.
>>

> Code what YOU really miss.  If you really want to write code for
> someone else it's trivial to find user requests.

And this is SO inefficient! I have made a couple of small contributions
to this project even though I could have spent more time probably but
thre was nothing that _I_ needed so I didn't do anything else. Why?
Because I have no idea what people really want and searching the list
for features or bugs is just plain silly, that way you have no idea
whatsoever if the feature/bug has already been implemented/fixed or if
somebody might already be working on it.

And that's where something like BugZilla comes in handy, especially for
a project that is becoming more complex each day.
You can track all the issues that people have found, depending on the
number of subscriptions or votes or the amount of discussion related to
the issue you can more or less determine if you would make a lot of
people happy or not (which is the main reason why I would ever work on
something that wasn't directly necessary for me personally).

You can also keep detailed and high-volume discussions of this list and
concentrate them in the discussion list related with the issue.  This
keeps the least cleaner and easier to follow while making it extremely
easy to find all information related to a certain issue (no more, "just
search the archives").

But all of this has been said before, of course, but the reality is that
as long as Isaac doesn't see a use for it it won't happen.

-Tako