[mythtv] Backend goes out to lunch

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri Jun 25 11:36:49 EDT 2004

Tony Brummett wrote:

>I've got 0.15.1 running with the backend and frontend on separate machines.
>Since up upgraded to 0.15.1, about every 2 or 3 days the backend will
>just stop responding.
>
>The backend is an AMD XP 1800+ with 512 meg of memory, a PVR-250 and
>another Hauppauge bttv card with RedHat 9.  This same hardware ran 0.14 for
>months with no problems.
>
>When this happens, the process still shows up in the ps output, and strace
>shows it repetedly doing a nanosleep({0, 500000}, NULL).
>
>On the frontend side, it will kind of act normally.  You can navigate all
>the menus and play back exactly one recording or go into watching live
>TV once.  After watching the one recording, if you try to delete it, the
>frontend will pause for several seconds and then pop up the box that says
>the backend has stopped responding, and are you sure it's running.
>Restarting the frontend has no effect, and if you go into the list of recorded
>shows, it'll say there are no recordings available.  No shows get recorded
>while it's in this state.  Restarting mythbackend will make everything work
>again, until it screws up 2 or 3 days later.

I have this same problem. My backend used to run forever, in the last
few weeks running from cvs it would lockup every few days. The frontend
acts like it cannot communicate with the backend. My backend is headless
and when I try to ssh into it I get a no route to the backend. I have to
hit the reset button to get things working again. It has happened about
three times in the last week or two.

- James