[mythtv] RE: [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Jun 23 05:39:14 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Gary Lerhaupt wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 17:23, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>>

>>> Most of the developers, and Isaac for sure, want as much distance
>>> between Myth and this tool.
>>>

>> All I can do is to continue to develop on my own (and any who wish to
>> help) in order to prove to you that Torrentocracy will not
>> enable/promote/encourage the illegal trading of media.  There is a
>> larger picture here and its called the public domain.  Perhaps if you
>> reconsider the value of this in the future, you'll reconsider your
>> distance.
>>

> The problem is that while you or I might use such a tool for public
> domain and other legal content the vast majority will not.
> Tottentocracy, and by extension myth, will be "that thing you can run
> on your TV and steal TV shows" in the eyes of the masses.  We'll
> attract new users for no reason other than the lure of sharing HDTV
> content.   So no I don't think the distance will be reconsidered,
> considering that people are already talking about sharing HDTV content
> there's not enough public domain stuff out there that I need BT on my TV.

Real life example: my father would LOVE a Myth box. But he only wants
MythMusic. Why? Because it's so easy to use: you just pop in a CD, you
let it rip to harddisk and you never have to search anymore for the CD
trying to read the small letters on the side (my father is not very
organized so needs to read the titles to find his CDs).

Now this in itself is already illegal in some countries, but there's more.

He can already imagine friends or family coming over with CDs he likes
and he could just make a copy. Fortunately for him this is perfectly
legal here (although those laws were obviously not made for the digital
age we now live in) but in a lot of countries this is quite illegal.

So I'm afraid Myth already has the name of enabling illegal activities ;-)

About sharing: am I wrong in my understanding that the Bittorrent module
has no way of publizicing the content? I know that when you start
downloading something you automatically participate in the distribution
but will the module also export any recordings you have made yourself?

Cheers,
 -Tako