[mythtv] Channel change in EPG question

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Tue Jun 8 17:56:44 EDT 2004

Harry Orenstein wrote:

>> From: "J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net>
>> To: Development of mythtv <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv] Channel change in EPG question
>> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:41:07 -0400
>>
>> My "P" (pause toggle) is mapped to my pause button..  The PLAY
>> function (no default keybinding) is mapped to the play button on my
>> remote.
>

> Then maybe mapping "P" to both pause and play on my remote was
> not my smartest possible move   ;-)

I don't think PLAY became an option till shortly after .14 was released.

>> You have three choices 1) Press the INFO button.  2) Press SELECT on
>> a show that's in the future (the threshold for this is available in
>> the guide settings).  3) Press the RECORD button ("R" is the default
>> I believe)
>

> I guess this falls under the category of "you learn something new every
> day".  When I get home I'll try enabling the SELECT feature in setup to
> allow changing channels from EPG if the program is not in the future.

It works with a "guide" button (if you have one) on your remote to bring
up the EPG.

>> From the discussion this sounds like what I really want.  But the "S"
>> then
>
> "M" thing still grates on me   ;-)

Well it's actually MENU, so it doesn't have to be "M" but it makes sense
that M is menu.

>> I watch Live TV quite often, as does my wife.  That's why I added the
>> ability for select to change the channel.
>

> I wasn't implying that noone else but me watches live TV.  It just
> seemed like not enough people were using live TV to generate
> feedback that I would have expected about the keymapping change.

It's all part of trying to be consistent.  Folks with "menu" buttons
expect that button to similar functions in the different areas.

> I guess not knowing about your previous change would tend to
> indicate that the reason for this is that everyone but me knows about
> that feature.  As I said, I guess I was just being dense   ;-)

It's REALLY easy to miss the small changes unless you track the commits
list.