[mythtv] Similtaneous TV watching on multiple frontends

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Jun 2 20:06:29 EDT 2004

Moasat

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:44:32PM -0500, Moasat wrote:
> Why not allow any number of users to watch the same stream and also change
> the channels?  If it gets confusing, it would be the user's fault, not the
> fault of the software.  Why limit the software if the users are capable of
> not getting confused?
>
> I could see several scenarios where a dedicated front end may be left
> running in one room (downstairs) but the user has moved to another room
> (living room) and wants to watch TV in there instead.
>
> And so what if two users try to change the channel on the same tuner.  Let
> them battle it out, but don't make the software be the limiting factor.
> Many users with satellite don't have an unlimited ability to just add tuners
> to backends.

But what if they give conflicting commands?

For example a programme comes up for recording and one user selected
"Record & Watch" the other "Don't record - continue watching live TV".
Which one is right.  Which one has control?

Hay, I'm new to MythTV there are probably better examples of where
multiple frontends would cause big problems.

Steve