[mythtv] vps once again...

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Thu Jul 22 16:56:42 EDT 2004

Hey,

> btw. does the hauppauge pvr 250 support vbi, as this is mandatory for
> receiving vps signals i hope it does.

It does. there is some preliminary support already for it in some of the
more recent ck versions of the ivtv driver. If I have the util output
all vps messages I got about 1 every 20 minutes orso, thats all testing
I've done.

Now to get back on topic, how this would properly intergrate into myth
is harder.

Making a recording stop when receiving the next vps is pretty
straightforward. But when do you start? In order to receive vps's you
need to be tuned into the channel. So you should already have a card
listening for vps before the show starts. How much before? an hour? 3
hours? a day?

I'm not that fermilier yet with the mythtv code, so I don't know how
flexible it would be to a completely different way of timing when to
start and stop recording. It would also be a pain to deal with
conflicts. what if the show goes on longer than expected, moving into
the timespace of another show that was supposed to be recorded.

what if you start listening for vps an hour early, but you were too
late? you'll keep on waiting for the vps while you could be recording,
only to find out at the next vps that the show is over..

So technically yes, the pvrx50's can receive vps's, but how to deal with
them from a usability point of view is a whole other can o worms.

Looking forward to bright ideas people might have on this topic.

Bye, Lucas