[mythtv] HDTV doc diff for channel settings

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Wed Jul 21 12:52:00 EDT 2004

Look, there is HDTV transmitted on a VHF channel. Nothing physically
prevents it, the bandwidth is still 6 Mhz in VHF. And, obviously the FCC
allows it. It may be temporary, they are building a new radio tower, but
it's there and someone might be confused if we tell them it doesn't
exist.

As for program id 1... I believe the station tech was talking about
subchannels. Subchannel 0 is for NTSC, subchannel 1 is for primary
service (usually HDTV), and any other subchannels are for secondary
service, terciary service, etc. Using a pid of 1 is not recommended for
any service, it's not because ATSC defines any use for that pid, but
because much ATSC equipment is actually DVB equipment with a new label,
and DVB defines a use for that pid. You will also never see a PID of 0
because that is reserved for an MPEG-2 table, which ATSC is also tries
to be compatible with.

-- Daniel