[mythtv] dvb-t confusion

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Thu Jul 8 22:55:10 EDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 04:44, Nigel Pearson wrote:

> > using a dvb-t card? It doesn't really have channels like analogue
> > cards had
> 	In Australia it does. There is a separate DVB transponder for each
> network in the region, and the DVB channels transmit the same material
> as the analogue channels do, so for now the same Video Sources and
> Channel Numbers apply.

Where I'm now there are only two transponders at UHF channels 22 and 27.
The first one at 482MHz carries 5 channels and the second at 522MHz
carries 5 also plus 4 radio channels. So I just picked some numbers to get
them sorted nicely in the epg. I guess no one's ever though of having
audio-only channels in mythtv though?

> 	I can only comment on my current card, an AverTV DVB-T.
> The wizard reports 100% signal strength and around 60% signal
> to noise, and that seems to not be enough for reliable operation.

Need to remember that those values can be completely bogus and it appears
they are also very much card specific. Some times I don't get a signal
strength reading at all, just the signal/noise and the errors says ~5000
and the other is some random 7 digit number.

> (e.g. the backend spits out about 30 stream errors per second,
>        and I have only succeeded in recording 15minutes before
>        the backend silently dies)

I managed to get the backend to segfault many times testing the cables etc.
It can sometimes take pretty much but still, it crashing on broken video
seems pretty much random and makes it totally unreliable as even if you
get the reception into acceptable strength you'll still get the occasional
error here and there and those can crash it if you're unlucky...